Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day


There is a unique level of selflessness found in motherhood, much like that found in marriage, ministry, missions, and even the military. I never knew just how selfless my mom was until I became a wife and a mother.

She loved cottage cheese and tomato, as did I. I loved the way she used to reluctantly share her cottage cheese and tomato with me: she would smile and say, “I hope your children eat yours the way you eat mine.” Well, they do…except I have twins eating mine! She would get such a kick out of that!

I became a mom seven years ago, and I lost my mom seven years ago (six months before my twins were born). Although it has been seven years, mother’s day is still very bitter sweet to me. The sweet: I love seeing my girls excited about saying “happy mother’s day!” a millllllion times over. The bitter: I never knew how hard it would be to not be able to say “happy mother’s day” to my mom, but I never imagined the difficulty of never being able to hear her say it to me. I know she would be proud of me, but I find myself always wishing she could know me as a mom and say that she is proud of me.

While we are waiting to adopt a child, I think about that birthmother out there. With most-likely many voices reminding her of the option of abortion, she is doing one of the most selfless things I could think of. She will soon have her first mother’s day, but she does not know how hard it will be to not be able to hear “happy mother’s day.” Even though we do not know her, please pray for her. I imagine this day will someday be a difficult day for her.

Whether mother's day is joyful or difficult, please treasure what the Lord has given you today. I pray you all will find a hidden treasure in today. Happy mother’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment