Not only did we raise a lot, but we learned a lot.
1. We have amazing friends. Many people gave us things they could have sold or kept for themselves. Others baked cookies. Some friends even showed up at 5:00 am to help set up! One friend even brought us all pizza for lunch. Those were blessings!
2. Some people do not understand adoption. One of my best friends' sons defined adoption this way: "a husband and a wife cannot have a baby, so they go out and buy one." This is a cute five-year-old understanding of adoption, but most of us know adoption is much more than that...and not exclusive to couples dealing with infertility. However, I was surprised with just how many adults asked us what kind of pet we were adopting. People really thought we were raising money to adopt a dog! We were able to share our reason for choosing adoption: the gospel. That was a blessing!
3. Some people really understand adoption. We met one family who just finalized their adoption at the courthouse that morning. We met several people who either had adopted, were adopted, or who were touched by adoption somehow. We also met a man whose family completed their second adoption last fall. He actually came to our sale just to encourage us in our adoption process. He bought a cupcake for $20 (he said to keep the change), and prayed with Daniel and me. Those were blessings!
4. Adoption is a parable of the gospel in more ways than I'd seen before. The big picture: our adoption as God's children through Christ is reflected when we adopt a child as our own. I also saw smaller glimpses of the gospel message throughout this experience: As everyone gave of their time, possessions, and money, I kept wanting to say, "I owe you big time!" The thing is, everyone knows there is no way I can repay everyone for their gifts. I finally realized that I had to accept everyone's gift (gift after gift after gift). It reminded me of my own salvation in Christ; I can do nothing to earn it or pay for it. It is because of nothing I have done, but only because of Christ. That was a blessing!
5. God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us. To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! (Ephesians 3:20-21)
5. God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us. To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! (Ephesians 3:20-21)
Indeed, praise God from whom all blessings flow!
This is awesome!! Love #3!!
ReplyDelete